The Newt Jones/Etta Egeland Home
Also the home of Frank and Fannie Dennison and Archie and Maria Erickson
Built in 1895
Sheriff Newt and Etta Glasscock Jones:
San Juan County Sheriff Newt Jones was known to be a fair minded and competent lawman. The year his home was built, he brought murderer Richard Straub to trial and managed to protect him from a mob hanging in the midst of public outrage. The Islander newspaper praised Jones on October 24, 1895 for his care of the prisoner and professionalism during the County’s first and last execution. According to many sources, Jones reported at that time he never wanted to officiate at another hanging. At the time, he was building a new home on Argyle for his wife Etta Glasscock Jones and their children. The Jones family continued to live in the home until they moved to Everett, Washington. Jones became Everett’s sheriff and later became mayor.
Frank and Fannie Dennison:
Frank and Fannie Dennison, originally lighthouse keepers on Smith Island moved into the Jones home. Etta Egeland was their niece. She founded and later donated the logbooks from the Smith Island lighthouse to the San Juan Historical Museum.
Archie and Maria Fleming:
Archie was one of twelve children of San Juan pioneers Thomas and Mary Jane Fleming. Archie and his wife Maria Erickson moved into town in the 1930’s after selling their San Juan Valley farm. Their valley farm was 155 acres of lush valley soil. They grew hay and grain as the principle crops. Fleming was also a prosperous dairyman who sold his products to the creamery in Friday Harbor.
Etta and Harry Egeland:
Etta Egeland, the second “Etta” to live in the house, was the granddaughter of pioneer Peter Lawson an, of course the niece of Frank and Fannie Denison. Etta Elizabeth Lightheart Egeland was an island icon. She lived to be 105 years old and experience three centuries of American politics, culture and history on the island. Etta was born to Annie and Alexander Lightheart on November 10, 1895 on her grandfather’s “squatters rights” farm at Straitsview on the west side of the island. An Indian mid-wife oversaw her birth in a log cabin.
Etta’s grandfather, Peter Lawson, came to San Juan Island from Denmark in 1856. Her grandmother, Fanny Deardon Lawson arrived from Victoria on a Bride’s Ship from Manchester, England. They married and had four boys and four girls, one of them Annie, Etta’s mother. Etta’s father, Alexander Lightheart, moved from Michigan to the San Juans in 1889. Alexander and Annie had three children, Harold, Calvin and Etta.
In 1915 Etta married Harry Egeland, a Norwegian immigrant who worked at the local shake mill. On their honeymoon in San Francisco in 1915, the Egelands saw the Wright Brothers fly! Harry later raised and sold turkey’s. Etta and Harry had two children, Juanita Marcella and Edward Calvin. Edward died at age 7 from polio. Etta and Harry lived in a home on Spitz Hill behind the Town of Friday Harbor’s tower for 49 years, until Harry died in 1964. Etta moved to Argyle Street where she resided for 38 years.
Etta was an early local historian, recording thousands of hours of oral histories, genealogies and stories. She gathered artifacts and antiques from pioneer families so that their history would be preserved. Her passion for history began when she was exposed to museums as a child, and later when she saw Queen Victoria during a bicentennial parade in Victoria, BC. Etta is credited for founding the San Juan Historical Society and Museum. She also founded the local garden club and so I honor her dedication to plants and flowers by continually improving the gardens around Etta’s Home.
Besides her work with the museum, Etta was also a wage earner. She was a telephone operator, and income tax preparer, dispatcher, domestic servant, fish cannery worker, liquor store clerk and dishwasher at the “Bug Station” out at the University of Washington’s Friday Harbor Labs.
Etta’s Place today:
This Prairie Queen Anne-style farmhouse has lived through several notable changes. At one point, when metal siding was the rage, the house was clad with aluminum siding. Current owner Carol Anderson remover the siding in 2009 after she discovered the original siding and decorative shingles had been protected, were intact and ready for a fresh coat of paint.
Carol is committed to preserving the house and making it functional for contemporary use. She has restored materials where possible, used historic recycled materials and added a dormer to give headroom to the stairway in he hallway.
Because Etta’s home was know as the place you could go when you had no place to stay, Carol has turned this historic home into vacation rentals in honor of Etta’s lifelong gift of helping other enjoy San Juan Island.